a branding expert, companies often come to me asking, what can I do to
increase my firm's name recognition? Of course, increasing name
recognition is only one aspect of the branding puzzle, but an important
one. It is particularly perplexing to a company well known in a certain
market, (perhaps where the company originated), but disappointed at the
lack of carry over in name recognition upon entering a new geographical
So, what can a company do to increase name recognition? Here are
twenty-five (25) ways you can begin branding your company and increase the
name recognition of your firm.
1. Hire a branding company to bring your image and message under a
brand. Develop all collateral and image materials (web, stationery, logo,
tagline, mission statement, cards, postcards, brochures, elevator pitch,
newsletters, letters, project sheets, resumes, bios, firm description,
etc.) to coincide with the brand and your message.
2. Develop a mission statement that shows your reason for being and
the value you provide to your customers.
3. Develop a memorable tagline that expresses who you are and what
4. Make a matrix of all those you'd like to reach in the next year
and the potential influencers on those people. Develop a timetable and
calendar of outreach.
5. Regularly write and issue press releases to the media.
6. Regularly write and post press releases to your website.
7. Regularly write and post press releases directly onto the
8. Regularly write articles and do all three of the above.
9. Regularly write and pitch feature story ideas to the media.
10. Diversify all marketing, PR and media to reach the markets
where your clients are to be found (as opposed to marketing within your
own service industry).
11. Participate (attend, speak, host, present, show) in at least
two national and local industry conferences.
12. Create and issue an online or direct mail newsletter.
13. Get known for niche expertise or specific industry knowledge. (speak,
write, present, teach).
14. Participate in professional internship programs.
15. Participate and sponsor local charitable efforts; get your name in the
program the charitable cause distributes; get your name in the press
surrounding the event.
16. Get to know all potential teaming partners in your new geographic
area. Let them know your people, your areas of expertise and potential for
17. Develop collateral material with a regional bent; think what projects,
services, people or elements might be important to this new market and
capture this regional tone in all collateral material.
18. Develop tip sheets as to how your company is different
than your competitors and why this makes a difference to teaming partners
and to your end users-your potential clients. Include these
differentiating tips as the basis for all your branding statements.
19. Develop a calendar of local and regional events in your locale and
make your company visible in the areas most related to your company and
your potential clients' interests.
20. Post your calendar of appearances and participation on your website.
21. Plan a media release before and after each event.
22. Hire an industry professional to conduct a survey on your behalf; post
the results on your website. Publicize the results most important to your
23. Update your website to be informational based so that search engines
can find you, and clients can read in-depth material demonstrating your
24. Add informational website content a minimum of four times per month.
25. Establish your brand by regularly updating the financial value or
potential value associated with your brand. Quantify results achieved and
add these results to your brand value. Communicate through all methods,
the value of your brand to those associated with it.
Branding your company is key to influencing a memorable response in the
minds of your chosen audience. It is not only the name recognition of your
firm, but also the perceived value of your organization. Capture these
twenty-five essential branding elements and begin to cement a positive
branded image for your firm.
Development is a Florida based Strategic Marketing, PR and Branding
firm, bringing brand identity and revenue to firms in business to
business, business to consumer, medical, development, professional
services and non-profits. See free tips for lead generation, marketing,
press and publicity, consulting, business development and branding at
Articles | Submit
Your Article | PR
Public Relations Homepage